Job Title: Data Analyst
Reports to: Director, District Consulting Group
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Location: Temecula, CA
Summary: The Special Financing District (SFD) Annual Administration Group within NBS currently has an opening for a Data Analyst. The Data Analyst plays an important role in collecting, organizing, and rigorously testing data. The Analyst will also work very closely with D-FAST development team and use our D-FAST SFD management software to write logic scripts that can be used in D-FAST to automate the creation and updating of Data Items and billings. The Analyst will interact with data providers and with internal staff. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of databases and data analysis procedures. They will be very tech-savvy and possess excellent troubleshooting skills.
Mission of Position: To increase the effectiveness of our staff and the quality of our work product by developing and maintaining accurate databases, writing robust scripts to automate the creation and updating of data, performing rigorous logic-oriented testing, and creating high quality documentation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The position is focused primarily around, but not limited to, the following duties:
Source data collection and management
- Acquire County Secured Roll data, building permits, and other relevant inputs from primary or secondary data sources
- Create, document, and follow procedures for collection and maintenance of databases
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing
- Ensure databases and archives are protected from security breaches and data losses
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
Writing of logic scripts for the creation and updating of SFD Data Items and billing amounts
- Review each SFD’s methodology and Special Tax formula
- Document the necessary source data for each SFD
- Write and test logic scripts for each SFD that will create Data Items and billing amounts
- Modify/update these scripts in D-FAST for each SFD
- Filter and “clean” data by reviewing outcomes to locate and correct script problems
- Work closely with D-FAST development team to troubleshoot and fix errors and improve capabilities
Ad hoc data support and reporting
- Assist with reports and data extraction when requested
- Write scripts and create automated process for routine data needs
- Support staff in the daily use of data and ensure adherence to company standards
- Continuous improvement of data processing and efficiency
- Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades etc.)
- Troubleshoot data-related problems and authorize maintenance or modifications
- Developing and implementing data analyses, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality
Education and/or Experience:
2+ years of experience as a data analyst
- 2+ years of experience with MS SQL, relational databases, and query / script writing
- Bachelors Degree required, preferably in Data Analytics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management or Statistics.
Technical expertise with data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques
- Experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Microsoft Power BI, IBM SPSS, etc.) preferred
- Excellent understanding of data administration and management functions (collection, analysis, distribution etc.)
Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings using reporting packages (DevExpress, SQL Server Reporting Services, etc.) preferred
Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Advanced proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Access, Word etc.)
- This job operates in an indoor office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
- Typical work week is Monday through Friday 8 – 5.
We offer a full line of benefits including the following:
- Employee Stock Ownership Program – 100% Employee Owned
401k Plan with a generous employer match
Medical and Dental Insurance coverage is paid in full for the employee.
- Paid Vacation, Sick, Holidays, and Volunteer time
Life insurance, covering the employee in the sum of $100,000, is paid in full by NBS
- Short- and long-term disability insurance for the employee is paid in full by NBS
- In addition to the benefits shown above, NBS offers a comfortable office and relaxed work environment with periodic off-site fun events. We have found our dress code of Business Casual to be an appreciated benefit by all employees.
NBS is a financial consulting firm for government agencies (cities, school districts, water/fire department, etc.). In addition, NBS licenses its proprietary software, called D-FAST®, to local government agencies nationwide. The corporate office is in Temecula with a secondary office located in San Francisco. We are a 100% employee-owned company with roughly 45 employees. We have been in business since 1996 and have been growing consistently and responsibly ever since. We pride ourselves in our great work environment, growth opportunities, personal and professional development, and excellent benefits.
Web Address: https://www.nbsgov.com