Job Title: Project Analyst
Reports to: Director, District Formation Consulting Group
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Summary: The District Formation Consulting Group within NBS currently has an opening for a Project Analyst. The Project Analyst plays an important frontline role in providing consulting services to our government agency clients in all manner of Special Financing District (SFD) formations and analyses. This specialized area is a combination of the disciplines of finance, legal, planning, engineering, public relations and local government. The Analyst will interact with a number of clients and internal staff. The Analyst will provide analytical support, data management and reports to the clients. Additional information can be found here : https://www.nbsgov.com/sfd-formation/
To Succeed: In this role, you will work with local government clients on projects that integrate concepts of governmental finance, budgeting, planning and public works. You will consider the multi-faceted aspects of each project from financial implications to legal ramifications. You will work with and be trained by team project managers while reporting to the group director. You will value learning as a core value to the DFC team. Finally, you will complete projects for clients with a long-term perspective, as representative of both our commitment to client services and our commitment to NBS as employee owners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Analyst is responsible for multiple consulting projects at any given time. The position is focused primarily around, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Formation of SFDs and related financial and planning analyses to include Excel/Access database work and Word reports and legal documents
- Analyze and manipulate large and complex data, including County Assessor parcel data sets
- Read and interpret public agency documents such as budgets, audit reports and municipal code
- Read and interpret state law related to formation procedures and documentation
- Gather and analyze revenue and cost data
- Coordinate and complete all day-to-day tasks for assigned projects
- Establish and adhere to project timelines
- Identify additional services provided by NBS that clients may utilize and help facilitate sales of these new services
- Maintain clean, well-organized files that will be available to all other staff in your absence
- Identify any potential problems or liabilities for clients or NBS and report such to manager
- Provide exceptional customer service and return client telephone calls within one business day
- Communicate with co-workers on ways to improve work methods and processes
- Collaborate with DFC team members to provide and receive peer review of work product
- Governmental budgets, accounting statements and financial reports
- Governmental planning processes and provision of governmental services
- Principles and practices of project management
- Establish and maintain a working relationship with a variety of governmental staff
- Ability to prioritize and handle a multitude of tasks quickly and accurately
- Determine critical vs. non-critical issues and handle accordingly
- Proficient business writing skills and verbal communication skills to be able to clearly present to boards, commissions, councils and committees
- Work independently at a high level of accuracy with great attention to detail
- Organize assigned workload and perform work efficiently
- Use Excel and/or Access at a proficient, advanced level for processing large amounts of data maintained by various client tracking systems to develop analytical models and financial projections
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years in a Finance, Analyst, Accounting, Planning or other related role
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably Finance, Economics or Urban Planning; Master’s degree in related field or Public Administration a plus
- Experience working in or for local government as an intern, employee, or local government consultant a plus
- Advanced Excel User (Pivot, V-Look-up, Index/Match, Arrays, etc.)
- This job operates in an indoor office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
- Typical work week is Monday through Friday 8 – 5, however the nature of balancing multiple projects with varying deadlines and requirement to attend evening meetings either virtually or in person may mean some longer days are interspersed with more typical days.
- Occasional travel to client sites and conferences may be required.
We offer a full line of benefits including the following:
- Employee Stock Ownership Program – 100% Employee Owned
- 401k plan with a generous employer match
- Medical and Dental Insurance coverage is paid in full for the employee.
- Paid Vacation, Sick, Holidays, and Volunteer time
- Life insurance covering the employee in the sum of $100,000, is paid in full by NBS
- Short- and long-term disability insurance for the employee is paid in full by NBS
- In addition to the benefits shown above, NBS offers the ability to work remotely from a location that has adequate work space and technical capabilities
NBS is a financial consulting firm for government agencies (cities, school districts, water/fire department, etc.). In addition, NBS licenses its proprietary software, called D-FAST®, to local government agencies nationwide. The corporate office is in Temecula with a secondary office located in San Francisco. We are a 100% employee-owned company with roughly 50 employees. We have been in business since 1996 and have been growing consistently and responsibly ever since. We pride ourselves in our great work environment, growth opportunities, personal and professional development, and excellent benefits.
Web Address: https://www.nbsgov.com/careers/
NBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. NBS does not discriminate in hiring or employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry or genetic information, age, sex (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status or unfavorable discharge from military service or any other characteristic protected by law.