Job Title: Financial Analyst
Reports to: Director, District Consulting Group
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Summary: The Special Financing District (SFD) Annual Administration Group within NBS currently has an opening for a Financial Analyst. The Financial Analyst plays an important front-line role in providing core consulting services to our government agency clients. This specialized area is a combination of the disciplines of finance, legal, engineering, public relations, and local government. The Analyst will interact with several clients and internal staff. The Analyst will provide analytical support, data management and reports to NBS’ clients.
To Succeed: In this role, you’ll understand the concepts of local government operations and budgeting, as well as the services provided by local government, and enjoy working with our NBS clients to help them understand their SFDs. You’ll be curious about the agencies’ operations and interact with multiple departments within the local government organizational structure. You’ll enjoy working closely with the NBS Project Manager and the local government experts on the client side towards successful project completion. Finally, you will do your work with a feeling that you own the company you’re representing. Why? Because we’re an employee-owned company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Financial Analyst is responsible for a number of regular clients and projects, as well as completing special projects and special requests. The position is focused primarily around, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Annual Administration of SFDs includes database management, funds tracking, calculations of taxes and assessments, and customer service response
- Gather and analyze cost data, develop solutions, project consequences, and evaluate results
- Work closely with clients to ensure that their compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations
- Analyze and manipulate large and complex data
- Read and interpret public agency data, tax law, and applicable legal documents
- Read and interpret maps and perform spatial analysis
- Review and analyze funds, and make recommendations to resolve issues
- Coordinate and complete all day-to-day tasks for assigned Clients
- Uses the annual timeline established by NBS as a base scheduling tool and meets internal and external deadlines
- Identify additional services provided by NBS that Clients may utilize and help facilitate these new services
- Identify any potential problems or liabilities for Clients or NBS and report such to Manager
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Communicate with co-workers on ways to improve work methods and processes
- Basic accounting principles and the ability to understand governmental budgets, accounting statements and financial reports
- Data analysis, how to read and interpret copious amounts of data and distill it into actionable conclusions
- Principles and practices of project management
- Mathematics and computer skills, especially relating to data analysis/management tools such as Excel, SQL, etc.
- Spatial Analysis utilizing parcel maps and GIS a plus
- Prioritize and handle a multitude of tasks quickly and accurately
- Work independently and with a team at a high level of accuracy with great attention to detail
- Organize assigned workload and perform work efficiently
- Analyze and break down complex financial issues, recommend actions, and communicate them to high-level government officials and staff
- Locate, compare, and analyze geographic data and determine relationships between maps
- Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with a variety of governmental staff
- Proficient business writing skills and verbal communication skills to be able to clearly present to boards, commissions, councils, and committees
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years in a Financial Analyst, Analyst, Accounting or other related role
- Knowledge of and experience working with Special Financing Districts desired
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably Finance or Economics; Master’s degree in related field or Public Administration a plus
- Experience working in or for local government as an intern, employee, or local government consultant a plus
- Advanced Excel User (Pivot, V-Look-up, Index/Match, Arrays, etc.)
- This job is primarily work-from-home with requirements to occasionally attend in-person meetings, training, etc.
- This role requires work-from home capabilities including a dedicated workspace, high-performance internet access, and ability to stay on task and focused during office hours.
- Typical minimum work week is Monday through Friday 8 – 5. Evening Council or Board Meeting attendance required on occasion.
- Minimal travel is expected. Travel will not be frequent over the first year but may increase as the Analyst gets more proficient in working with clients and subject matter.
We offer a full line of benefits including the following:
- Employee Stock Ownership Program – 100% Employee Owned
- 401k Plan that has a matching of 50% by NBS up to 10% of the employee's salary per pay period
- Health and Dental Insurance is paid in full for the employee coverage
- Voluntary Vision and Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Vacation, Sick, Holidays, and Volunteer time
- Life insurance covering the employee in the sum of $100,000 is paid in full by NBS
- Short and long-term disability insurance for the employee is paid in full by NBS
- In addition to the benefits shown above, NBS offers a great lively culture with a comfortable and relaxed work environment with periodic off-site fun events. Our decision to provide on-going work from home opportunities to our employee-owners demonstrates our commitment to expand our benefits whenever possible.
NBS is a financial consulting firm for government agencies (cities, school districts, water/fire department, etc.). In addition, NBS licenses its proprietary software, called D-FAST®, to local government agencies nationwide. The corporate office is in Temecula with a secondary office located in San Francisco. We are a 100% employee-owned company with roughly 50 employees. We have been in business since 1996 and have been growing consistently and responsibly ever since. We pride ourselves in our great work environment, growth opportunities, personal and professional development, and excellent benefits.